The School Nutrition Manager I coordinates food and supply orders and deliveries; provides comprehensive training of all food service staff; supervises food services activities at assigned sites; organizes food preparation activities; assists food service workers with food preparation and serving; confirms quantities and quality of food items available for use; provides written reports; and complies with mandated health requirements.
This job reports to the Director of School Nutrition Services and/or Operations Specialist and building Principal.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
Certificates & Licenses: Food Safety and Sanitation Certificate.
Experience: Job-related experience with increasing levels of responsibility is required.
- Completes daily accountability reports and submits by established deadlines.
- Follows established price list for all sales to students, staff and patrons.
- Works with food service associates to assure accurate and timely daily reporting.
- Strives to achieve established goals for food and labor by utilizing labor and resources efficiently.
- Processes receipts for completing and documenting transactions and/or preparing deposits for bank drop.
- Merchandises and markets the school food service program to schools and the community.
Material and Facilities Management:
- Orders weekly supplies by established due dates based on resources on hand and forecast production requirements.
- Checks quality, quantity, and accuracy of weekly deliveries and invoices. Sends signed, verified invoices within guidelines established.
- Establishes forecasting, sets production needs, and plans employee work schedules, to ensure each meal meets requirements as established by USDA and ACPS School Nutrition Services.
- Assists in selecting ala carte items and menu choices, for breakfast/lunch/snacks which meet USDA guidelines.
- Maintains high standards of sanitation and safety according to guidelines of State and Local authorities, and ACPS.
- Follows menus using standardized recipes. Oversees foods being prepared are accurately weighed, measured, and portioned, according to recipe or portion chart. Maintains legible and accurate recipes for all departments.
- Maintains high quality of product, storage, and preparation techniques.
- Inventories food, condiments, supplies and equipment at specified intervals for the purpose of ensuring availability of items and limiting losses.
- Knowledge and ability to work all areas and phases of operation to include computers and POS terminals.
- Supervises all food service workers and other personnel as assigned.
- Provides adequate coverage and ensures compliance with health, safety and nutritional standards of central kitchen operations
- Works with SNS leadership in training and orienting new employees.
- Keeps all staff informed and aware of matters that affect their position and work environment.
- Conducts regular school meetings to accomplish goals, share ideas, and communicate changes.
- Handles employees’ complaints and grievances and maintains lines of communication with Director.
- Conducts performance appraisals within established School Nutrition Services policy.
- Provides on-going training and assistance to employees for food, production, serving and equipment use.
- Assists in maintaining a disciplined work group, deals fairly with staff without discrimination.
- Communicates fairly and pleasantly with district personnel, students, and the community.
- Supports the value of continuing education by attending meetings, classes, in-services and workshops as required by the School Nutrition Service Administration.
- Supports the Mission Statement of Alexandria City Public Schools, the assigned school, and the Nutrition Services Department.
- Follows Division and School Nutrition Services policies and procedures.
- Reports to work as designated in the employee handbook &/or manager’s handbook.
- Demonstrates the willingness to work as a team with kitchen, school, and administrative staff.
- Identifies personal goals for upcoming appraisal period and works toward the achievement of these goals.
- Assists food service personnel in identifying goals for upcoming appraisal period and provides opportunity for achieving these goals.
- Establishes and maintains a line of communication with building Principal.
- Works with school staff and students to promote healthy food choices for all.
- Maintains an accurate inventory of all kitchen supplies.
- Follows all established guidelines as identified in the School Nutrition Services employee handbook.
- Collects free and reduced meal applications to determine eligibility under program guidelines.
- Performs other duties as needed to accomplish department goals.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
- Requires prolonged standing and working near and around moving mechanical parts.
- Requires physical exertion to manually move, lift (to 40+ lbs.), carry, pull or push heavy objects or materials.
- Requires stooping, bending, and reaching.
- Must work in a noisy and crowded environment with various climate temperatures.
- Must work in and around fumes, chemicals, and odors.
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.