The Dispatcher is responsible for the daily dispatching of the daily workload of their Service Center ensuring that their Service Center is organized, efficient and effective in delivering service excellence. This position must be able to handle a multitude of functions in a fast paced environment. The local dispatcher works directly with the Local Operations Manager helping plan for all upcoming moves, daily operations throughout the day. This position works under general supervision of the Local Operations Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Plan and dispatch crew’s daily to achieve maximum asset utilization and IVL productivity standards.
- Reviews all paperwork with crew to ensure crew is properly prepared for the days’ work and fully understands productivity expectations and customer requirements to ensure a satisfied customer experience.
- Provide direct, accurate and complete directions for all crews to ensure most cost effective routes to and from jobsites.
- Accept and register new shipments from foreign carriers per published shipment acceptance guidelines while ensuring that we have a current signed Compensation Agreement in place.
- Clear shipments for SIT
- Coordinate with Van Line Operations to ensure all shipments are assigned and picked up within the service area.
- Review daily paperwork with each Crew Leader as it is turned back in for completion and accuracy prior to processing paperwork through to accounting.
- Assist in planning and scheduling daily activity for warehouse operations.
- Assist in warehouse operations and ensure warehouse and surrounding lot is clean, orderly and able to pass fire, DOD and DOS inspections.
- Obtain weights for shipments and ensure facility meets requirements for a Certified Public Scale.
- Monitor daily electronic time cards for all subordinate staff to minimize overtime expense and maximize productivity levels for all employees.
- Assist Local Operations Manager in maintaining adequate staffing through recruiting, hiring and retaining skilled employees and/or contractors to ensure maximum asset utilization, profitability and service delivery excellence to all customers.
- Ensure that all local and short-haul drivers and/or contractors are operating within USDOT Regulations.
- Take disciplinary action against employees who do not conform to IVL policy in coordination with human resources.
- Problem solves as necessary to provide excellent customer service, interacts with service providers and customer by phone and email, and may occasionally have in person contact.
- Documents customer service issues according to company policies.
- Assures that proper procedures are followed to collect payments from customers.
- Assists in the maintenance records, dispatch paperwork, tracking mileage, arranging labor, and reviewing paperwork upon job completion for Short-haul drivers.
- Responds to all e-mails timely and ensures that they have been properly completed.
- Notifies management of any mistakes or discrepancies found.
- Maintains the cash box, and settles box twice weekly with the Accounting Department.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Directly supervises up to 150 employees in the Local Dispatch Department. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum requirement in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint of Beginner Level (Intermediate Level or higher preferred). Minimum keyboard skill level of 40 wpm.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); College Degree preferred or one to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. The ability to converse in Spanish in addition to English is a plus.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid Driver’s License
- Valid CDL A License or ability to obtain CDL A License within 6 months of employment.
- Ability to obtain Commonwealth of Virginia Weigh Master Permit
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and color vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
EOE, including disability/vets