THIS JOB OPENING IS BEING USED TO FILL CURRENT AND FUTURE VACANT POSITIONS IN THIS CLASSIFICATION AT VARIOUS SHIFTS, LOCATIONS AND ASSIGNED DAYS OFF
Mission Essential Designation:
In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority’s Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events.
The General Transit Bus Garage Mechanic performs skilled vehicle maintenance that includes troubleshooting, disassembly, repair, assembly and/or installation of automotive/diesel engines, transmissions, large and small electric/pneumatic/hydraulic components, chassis and vehicle body repairs for bus and automotive fleet, in the operation maintenance and repair of Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA)’s vehicles and equipment.
Job Levels: At each successive grade level of this job (i.e. Grades D, C, B, A and AA), the incumbent is expected to demonstrate increased, distinguishing levels of proficiency and efficiency in knowledge, skills and abilities when performing the assigned duties and essential functions described in this job description
“AA Lead” Level: In addition to independently performing the most complex aspects of the duties and essential functions described, the incumbent is responsible for ensuring work responsibilities of a group or team are properly completed in a timely manner.
- Performs, in compliance with established procedures and maintenance standards, basic to more complexed maintenance work on WMATA vehicles, to ensure safety and reliability of parts and equipment.
- Utilizes established procedures for operation, installation, maintenance and repair of WMATA’s vehicles and equipment
- Performs major repairs on all designated component parts of vehicles and analyzes and corrects those components having special or new problems, to appropriately maintain a safe operation and maintenance of WMATA vehicles and related components.
- Performs major engine work by conducting technical diagnostics, to ensure continuity of operations and reliability of parts and equipment.
- Performs all task conformance with safety and maintenance practices and procedures, to comply with safety regulations and conduct all activities in a safe, efficient manner.
- Uses various types of test equipment and related specialized tools associated with job assignment, in accordance with applicable codes and principle standards. Completes required documentation and reports by using the proper forms and tags
- Responds to and assists in emergencies such as securing or safeguarding WMATA vehicles and equipment, fire/life/safety and snow emergencies, to promote the Authority’s transit-supporting goals and to provide high-quality customer service.
- Performs tasks which may include heavy physical labor. Works various hours, locations, and days as required.
The functions listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.