Mission Essential Designation:
In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority’s Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events.
This is responsible physical work of a routine nature. Employee performs such duties as but not limited to tire changing, steam cleaning, battery servicing and changing, operating vehicles as required, light bulb and wiper inspection and replacement, vehicle fluid sample collection, lubrication of vehicles, fluid and filter changes, vehicle seat repairs, starting vehicles, service lane operation, obtaining and distribution of parts, and housekeeping duties including trash removal. Employee performs duties within the different specialty sections of the Shop, such as but not limited to, Graphics/Paint, Machine, Body, Small Units, Chassis Line, Arlington, Farebox, Sign/Shelter and Service Vehicle.
Employee performs basic to complex routine maintenance work on WMATA vehicles. Employee gains familiarity with and develops skills in the operation, routine maintenance and repair of WMATA vehicles and equipment. Employee receives instruction and close supervision on new assignments, while regular assignments are performed independently. Lead Mechanic or Shop Supervisor reviews and verifies work to check progress and conformance to established policies and requirements.
- Performs tasks in any of several maintenance areas of the bus activity.
- Assists in identification of faulty equipment revealed by abnormal wear patterns.
- Steam cleans and pressure washes parts, units, and transit vehicle engines and components.
- Performs daily battery maintenance functions.
- Repairs lights, wipers, and seats.
- Performs vehicle lubrication tasks including fluid and filter changes.
- Starts vehicles and performs service lane functions.
- Obtains and distributes parts and other materials.
- Attends on-the-job and formal training classes. Assists higher classified co-workers with assignments, or provides job specific training to lower classified co-workers.
- Performs all tasks in conformance with safety and maintenance practices and procedures.
- Uses various types of equipment and related specialized tools associated with job assignment.
- Prepares maintenance activity and related reports as required.
- Performs duties within the different specialty sections of the Shop.
- Maintains cleanliness of work area, housekeeping duties and trash removal.
- Works various hours, locations, and days as required.
- Performs tasks which may include heavy physical labor.
- Operates Authority vehicles as required.
The above duties and responsibilities are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. It is not intended to limit in any way the right of supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.