The Energy Manager is responsible for monitoring, managing and improving the energy efficiency of all ACPS-owned facilities. This position will propose and implement conservation measures, monitor energy consumption, assess business decisions for sustainability and seek out opportunities for increasing energy efficiency. The Energy Manager will work closely with the Offices of Capital Programs, Planning and Design, Educational Facilities and Maintenance and Custodial Services to ensure proposed energy efficiencies are aligned with the operational strategic plans of the Department. This position may also interface with external consultants (i.e. architects, contractors, etc.) on energy-related matters.
This position reports directly to the Executive Director of Facilities and Operations. This office is responsible for the management, oversight and execution of support operations for ACPS.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in energy management, facilities-related engineering (mechanical, electrical, energy, etc.), or related fields. Master’s degree preferred.
Certificates & Licenses: Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Facility Management Professional (FMP) and/or LEED Certification or related certifications preferred.
- Five to seven years of highly successful and comprehensive experience in energy management of commercial facilities. Additional experience in design and building construction, facilities operations and planning, or buildings and grounds logistics management is a plus. Public schools experience preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of energy efficiency best practices, LEED standards, renewable energy technologies and sustainable community design
- Experience in translating energy and utility consumption data into quantitative analysis for budget and decision-making purposes
- Demonstrated experience with civic offices and public engagement of capital and maintenance projects
- Knowledge of design and construction laws, codes and regulations
- Knowledge of facility inspection, quality controls, and safety assurance methods and associated metrics
- Complete audits for ACPS-owned facilities for energy efficiency. Inspect facilities with local and federal energy laws in mind to ensure adherence to all regulations.
- Monitor facilities in order to identify areas where energy is wasted or energy efficiency needs improvement, analyzing utility usage in order to develop conservation projects.
- Create and oversee the implementation of short and long-term projects and strategies that increase energy efficiency, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and minimize unnecessary consumption, including familiarity with and support of Net Zero initiatives and objectives.
- Implement energy-related cost-saving measures. Assist in the capital project and maintenance project budget development process by projecting energy savings and identifying energy goals for each project.
- Participate in the design, renovation and construction administration of buildings to ensure energy efficiency and attainment of LEED green building certification levels.
- Monitors the utility budget, to include calculating current energy costs as well as potential savings of upcoming projects. Prepare budget reports and cost estimates to send to appropriate stakeholders.
- Prepare and submit formal documentation and status updates for all current energy projects, regular utility consumption data reports and documentation of results for completed energy projects.
- Supports the Executive Director in developing, shaping and carrying out the energy management approach and plan for the Division. This includes proposing energy management software and/or modules to use.
- Provides advice and guidance to respective Directors within the Facilities and Operations Department, members of the Senior Leadership Team, other ACPS consultants and partners on energy plan matters.
- Coordinates meetings as needed to manage the respective administrative, support and technical program requirements.
- Review and familiarity with local environmental and energy codes, plans and policies.
- Serves as a representative and liaison for the Energy Management program with local officials and general public.
- Performs other duties as assigned to support the Department and Division.