The Controller is responsible for supervising the accounting team, ensuring that accounting transactions are properly accounted for and recorded, timely filing of all financial and tax reporting requirements to federal, state, and local regulatory agencies, and identifying and executing initiatives to improve efficiencies and productivity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Lead and oversee the month-end process to ensure that all financial transactions are treated properly. This includes accruals, allocations to business units and transactional accounting for cash receipts, cash disbursements, and payroll.
- Oversee the production of timely and accurate monthly financial statements highlighting significant items. Including reconciliations of balance sheet accounts.
- Assist with accounting for specific transactions on an as needed basis.
- Create and produce ad hoc reports and analyses. Ensure that the reports are meaningful and accurate.
Timely Filing Requirements
- Prepare work papers to support year-end financial reports to be furnished to management and outside accountants and regulatory agencies as part of year-end closing process.
- Assist and lead the tax return preparation process and various year-end tax forms.
- Prepare monthly Board packages.
- Collaborate with organizational leaders to identify opportunities for process improvements, recommend process and system modifications, and develop standards for various processes.
- Aid in the implementation of new accounting processes, policies, standards, and guidelines to enhance efficiency and accuracy.
- Document the accounting processes in support of the job responsibilities.
- Establish and maintain appropriate infrastructure and systems.
- Identify opportunities for automation and to introduce digital solutions.
- Deliver tools and analysis to help drive the digital transformation in Accounting.
- Train and coach users in adoption and implementation on automated and analytical tools.
- Supervising the accounting team of six individuals.
- Perform reviewer/approval of the team entries and work.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting or a related field, CPA preferred. Five years of fiscal experience, including management experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to define problems collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The working conditions are those of a normal office environment with the absence of disagreeable elements. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.