The City of Alexandria is located in Northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 160,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest City in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. With two local historic districts, seven national register districts, and a variety of distinct neighborhoods, we proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Boards and Commission Unit Supervisor position.
This position operates on a senior management level in the Department of Planning and Zoning (P&Z). The primary purpose of this position is to lead assigned Boards and Commission Unit (BCU) staff in the coordination and scheduling of public review processes for land use regulatory matters. BCU staff are responsible for three Boards and a Commission including the Planning Commission, the Board of Architecture Review, the Board of Zoning Appeals, and the Carlyle/Eisenhower East Design Review Committee. Consistent with several sections of the City Code and Zoning Ordinance, BCU staff must carry out the following responsibilities in a timely and effective manner: (1) the proper intake of development and non-development applications; (2) the assignment and collection of fees; (3) docket management and delivery; (4) electronic and written noticing for public hearings; and (5) the coordination of public hearing logistics. In addition, BCU staff are also responsible for maintaining the Bylaws for each Board or Commission, membership rosters; updating the Annual Reports; P&Z’s Annual Indicators Reports and Records Management for the entire Department.
What You Should Bring
The selected candidate should be a strong motivated leader with an enthusiast and collaborative work ethic and the ability to build and maintain team cohesion among the BCU staff and must be able to quickly form strong working relationships with other P&Z staff and with City staff. The incumbent must also demonstrate strong organizational and management skills as well as strong time management skills; strong verbal and written communication skills; proficiency with data management, land use information systems and record keeping systems and proficiency with Microsoft Suite Programs, Abode Suite Products; Geographic Information Systems; Zoom and website platforms. Additionally, the incumbent should also demonstrate the ability to interface effectively with policy makers, senior management, planning staff, other departments/agencies, applicants and the public. Strong customer service is a key requirement of the position as is the ability to communicate well in writing and orally.
The Opportunity - Examples of Work
- Supervises and evaluates staff assigned to the operations of BCU to ensure that standard operating procedures and deadlines for the processing, docketing and noticing of regulatory cases and public hearing logistics are being met;
- Assists BCU staff in providing guidance to P&Z staff and in resolving problems related to the processing of regulatory applications, docket management and noticing;
- Monitors adherence to City Code, Zoning Ordinance and other policies, regulations, and work processes;
- Initiates steps to resolve compliance issues;
- Serves as the Clerk to the Planning Commission;
- Tracks future dockets of the Board of Architectural Review, Board of Zoning Appeals, Planning Commission, Carlyle Design Review Board and City Council for Senior Management;
- Cohosts Zoom public hearings;
- Oversees the use of the City’s docket management system, namely, Legistar;
- Organizes and directs BCU process improvement special projects, and supervises and evaluates staff assigned to these projects;
- Serves as P&Z’s liaison for City Council legislative docket items and coordinates with staff to meet submission requirements and deadlines for City Council Public Hearings;
- Coordinates performance measurement data for P&Z programs;
- Consults with the P&Z director, division chiefs, principal planners and planners on all matters related to regulatory cases, records management and docket management; and
- Performs related work as required.
About the Department
Planning and Zoning (P&Z) works closely with communities to carry out the City's Strategic Plan, fostering equitable, amenity-rich neighborhoods. In developing neighborhood plans, reviewing development proposals, we continue our commitment to collaborate with all stakeholder groups to honor the character of each neighborhood and to strengthen and sustain them, and Alexandria as a whole, for now and in the future.